Monday, May 4, 2009

May Is National Short Story Month

I love short stories. I am always saying I need to read and write them more. I love writing them because they don't take as long as a novel, and I feel like I am cruising along in my prolificness (yes, that's a word--I looked it up).
And I love reading them because a well-written short story can affect me more than some novels do. (I often think Stephen King's short stories are better than many of his novels.) It is quite a skill to be able to set up a character(s), a world, and a situation in such a small space and have every word count.

Sometimes I think my ideas for novels are really short stories. My first NaNo novel in 2004 became a short story. Sometimes I think I should start off every idea as a short story, so that I can remain focused, and if the story turns into a novel, great!

One of my favorite short story writers is Lorrie Moore. Yes, I've mentioned her before. And I've posted a link to her story "How to Become a Writer," and I'm posting it again! Basically, I'm begging you all to read it.

My critique group in LA is letting me back in (yay! I had moved away and stopped sharing, but now I'm going to critique via email), and the first thing I'm going to submit this month is a short story. I like the timing of this because, according to Poets & Writer's website, May is National Short Story Month. The article linked to Dan Wickett from Emerging Writers Network who hopes to review 3 short stories a day--from a collection, a print journal, and an online journal--in the hopes of reading about 100 stories by the month's end. I checked out his site and found what looks like the intro post to his project here.

After perusing the rest of the blog for a bit, I've found there are already dozens of links to short stories and discussions about them. Looks like there are also some guest posts. And, if you want to discuss short stories on your own blog, he's provided the handy logo up in the corner. Awesome.

The Story Prize's blog also mentions the event.

Harper Perennial has been posting a new short story each week since the beginning of the year with their site Fifty-Two Stories.

Lots of stories! I am excited to have found these lists and links and discussions, because I do think I'd like to get back into the art form, and some studying/practicing/reading would do me good.

Do you read or write short stories? What is your favorite short and/or who is your favorite short story writer?

10 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

Nice post, Annie! Like you, I like to write the occasional short story because it makes me feel like I've accomplished something, actually finished something. My novel has taken my five years, but a short story can be completed in much less time...usually.

My favorite short story has got to be "Sarah Cole: A Type Of Love Story" by Russell Banks. It's so emotional and mysterious and vivid!

Marty said...

Annie, I agree with Davin above, this is a great post.

In many ways, blogs are the new medium for the short story. I have read many excellent stories that could easily be "published" works.

My favorite short story as a kid was "To Build a Fire" by Jack London but I will admit I like my own Ghost Story too. ;)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I haven't written short stories since college. That's why I started The Quick Quill, and it has been a small success so far. I'd love to have you join if there's some short work you'd like to share. Let me know if you're interested.

:)

Elana Johnson said...

I used to believe that I couldn't write "short". Everything I wrote grew and grew and grew. And grew some more.

But since I've been doing those topic things on my blog, I've realized that I can write short.

Great post and links, I'll check them all out. :D

Anonymous said...

My favorite short story of all time is the Yellow Wallpaper...as for writing them...I am learning to love it. Whenever I can;t think of anything to say in my novel, I work on a short story...I consider it a great lesson in tight writing!

Great post!!!

Lynnette Labelle said...

Thanks for the links. I'll have to check 'em out. I poppped over from Lady Glamis' blog.

Since you're a writer, I thought I'd mention there's a writers' support group you might be interested in. It's called Writers_on_Writing. If you want to know more, check out my blog. I posted some info about it yesterday. Maybe you know other writers who might want to join? The group's a SUPPORT group, not a critique group for writers 18 years or older.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Annie Louden said...

Davin- Glad you like the post! And yes, it is true that "usually" short stories take less time to write than a novel. I think, though, even if they take a while, they're still easier to wrap my head around.
I'll check out the story by Russell Banks!

Marty- I read your story. Yikes! I am sitting at work with a sweater on, and I got chills. I can't write scary stories b/c they scare me too much!

Glam- I've seen you mention the Quick Quill before. Can I check it out and lurk for a while? I must admit I'm a tiny bit shy about finding new crit people.

Elana- Yeah, short story writing is certainly different from a novel, and I used to wonder if I could ever write something novel-length! And, I've really enjoyed the shorts on your blog.

Christine- Yes, I think writing short stories is a valuable lesson in tight writing. Every word really counts then!

Lynnette- Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your blog and the support group today!

Anne Eston said...

*LOVED* the story by Lorrie Moore!!!!

Annie Louden said...

Indigo Girl- Yay! I'm so glad you read it!

Owen Carpenter said...

I enjoy reading well-written short stories.