Another Wednesday, another blog post. Because, yeah, I'm light on the posting.Last week I didn't crack open Outlaw Song, but I revised my short story a bit, and then I sent it to Lady Glamis, and she was kind enough to say it had potential. She said other nice things, too, and constructive things. It was pretty much a second draft that I sent, so I knew it had a lot wrong with it. But I was thinking about what she said about potential, and how you can have all the potential in the world, but it does you no good if you're not using it. So, what I'm saying is, I need to write more. Which is always what I'm saying.
Also I've been critiquing another script by someone else in my writing group, and it's very, very good, and I've seen a few versions of it, but he has vastly improved it since last I read it, and it's very exciting for me to read and see his progress. I guess that shows, too, that if you keep working on something, eventually it gets better, and then it gets done.
Speaking of done, I finished reading Revolutionary Road a few weeks ago. I liked the book, but I didn't like the characters, except maybe for John, the crazy son of the neighbors. I couldn't decide if Richard Yates was rooting for his character Frank or if he thought he was a terrible person, and he just wanted to write about a terrible husband and father and a terrible wife and mother. I thought it was a pretty easy read and certainly a commentary on the late 50s in suburbia. I saw the movie, too, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. I felt like the book was about Frank, and the movie was about April. So, that was interesting. If you like to read books about people screaming at each other and talking with a lot of, you know, emphasis, I recommend it. I don't recommend the movie, though. But usually when I read the book first, that's the case.
And that's it!
5 comments:
I didn't get a lot of writing done myself. Thought about it alot, though. Lady Glam is a God send isn't she. It's great you could send your story to her and get some feedback. I'm too nervous to send any of my stuff out yet. Still need a lot more practice.
"I guess that shows, too, that if you keep working on something, eventually it gets better, and then it gets done."
Yes, keep that in mind!
Yes, I love seeing how things get better with editing. And that book sounds very interesting, but not really in a good way, lol. I haven't seen the movie, either.
Robin, it is nervewracking sending stuff out, but I know it makes my writing better.
Davin, I will certainly try to keep it in mind. Maybe I should write it on my arm.
B.J., it was an interesting book, but the other two people I read it with pretty much hated it. So, maybe it's not worth the time.
I'm too nervous to send any of my stuff out yet. Still need a lot more practice.
Contextual Ad Network India
Post a Comment