Saturday, October 31, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

NaNoWriMo starts in 30 minutes! For me, anyway. I don't know what time zone you're in.


This is my 6th year doing the event, and for once I've actually done a bit of outlining ahead of time. Usually I just start on Nov. 1 with no real idea in mind, but I've realized that makes it VERY difficult to revise, especially because during most of the novel, the characters are either talking about what happened in the first 30 pages, or they're wandering around and saying to each other, "Well, now what?"

So this year I'm using some characters from my 2007 NaNo novel, and I've outlined what I remember about them. I'm also planning to write this as short stories that can stand alone, though they'll all be related. I'm hoping that if I think in short stories then plotting won't seem so daunting.

Also, instead of charging through and writing as fast as I can, when I get stuck, I'm going to stop and think and outline. I already know I can write 50K in 30 days (actually, it only takes me about 14 hours), but this year I want to write a good draft that I can actually work with and revise after November. That means keeping up with my daily word count and not procrastinating till the last week.

So, yay! Now it starts in 15 minutes, so I'd better get my thoughts in order.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Good luck with it! It sounds like you are well prepared and have plans to get you to meet your goals.

Keep an eye on the outline... it may very well come to your rescue if you get stuck.

Cheers, Jill
www.jilledmondson.com

Annie Louden said...

Thanks, Jill! Yes, I'm definitely keeping my outline and notes nearby. I don't want to back myself into a corner this year.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

14 hours to write 50k???!!! Wow, I'm impressed! I know you're going to do great this year!

Annie Louden said...

Michelle- Well, I'm not sure that writing so quickly is something to be impressed about. I'm way more impressed with your constant dedication to making your novel truly great.

prashant said...

I don't want to back myself into a corner this year.
Contextual Ad Network India