Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writing in Progress Wednesday

I know, it's not Wednesday anymore. But, I have been searching for QT members' blogs, and I found Kate's blog, and she has started a new weekly topic of writing about her work in progress. So, here I am writing about mine.

As I said in the previous post, I'm revising my first novel, which I wrote about five years ago but really haven't picked up again till this month. It has a beginning, middle, and end, and it's pretty clean (unlike all my NaNoWriMo drafts), but that is only because I had to turn it in for my senior project in college. If I hadn't had a deadline back then, it would still be a messy first draft.

I had been putting off revising the thing all these years because I felt too scared and unsure of myself to work on it without my advisor. But, thanks to QueryTracker.net, I don't want to put off completing this thing any longer. I want to query!

So far I've just been going through sentence by sentence and making the writing tighter. I'm familiarizing myself with the characters and story again, and I hope that as I go along, I will figure out which scenes to add and substract to make the book better. But I'm really just putting my toe in the water now.

NaNoWrimo is much easier for me. Just plow through a draft in 30 days without stopping to think or judge. This year, I'm going to give NaNoEdMo another try. That's in March--50 hours of editing. Maybe by the end of March, I won't be so scared of revising!

2 comments:

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Thanks for taking part in WIP Wednesday! And congrats on making the decision to get ready to query - it is a big step, but one well worth taking! I look forward to seeing how your revising efforts progress:)

Mary Lindsey / Marissa Clarke said...

Good luck querying.