No, I still think it's a nice time of year (though summer is best), and I think NaNoWriMo is a wonderful, happy, energizing event, but I decided I'm not going for the 50K this year. I have just over 6K words right now, and even though that puts me about 19K words behind, I know I could still make it. I could write 3K words a day. Or I could have a couple 10K word writing days. But I don't want to do that this time. I already know I'm capable of writing thousands of words in 30 days.
But now, I just want to write a novel.
My novel this year actually feels like a novel, too. I did some outlining. I'm taking my time going through the story instead of being pushed by wordcount deadlines. Writing is actually a pleasant experience! It's such a refreshing change from staring at my Excel word-tracking sheet and freaking out as Nov. 30th gets closer.
I'm going to take my time and write a good story. I'm sure I'll do NaNo again some day, but this year, I'm just writing for me.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Yayyy! I'm so glad you came to a decision and that you're happy with it! I hope one day I get to read some of this novel. :)
Good for you and glad you are enjoying writing your novel. I gave myself a goal of 2000 words a day for nano after getting off to a slow start. It seems to be working and I'm trying not to pad it with extra stuff. Even though I'm not using a lot of contractions. Will change those once Nano over. I seriously doubt I'll finish the story but at least I'll have a head start on it when Nano is over.
Good for you Annie!!! Good luck.
I'm so with you. I know I can crank out words. I just wanna write. You go, girl!
Good for you!
I think NaNo was invented to push procrastinating folks (like myself)who can't seem to find the discipline to work on anything new.
Like I said, that would be me. :-)
Hi Annie,
I think a lot of writers do themselves a disservice with word count targets that are too high. I used to have a daily target that was fairly typical, but I struggled to meet it about half the time; which meant that I perpetually felt I was falling behind and not performing. A bad feeling, and a negative one. I think it is much better to set yourself a low target - 500 words per day is fine. You feel less pressured, and if you exceed that figure you get a nice glow of satisfaction at the end of each day. Alternatively you can stop writing when you get to 500, and then devote the 'spare' time to reading, researching or just pondering what you are going to write next. It's a virtuous circle!
I love your perspective!
I'm "kinda" doing NaNo in that I'm making myself sit and write more than usual. But I never intended to hit 50k. I write middle grade so that's almost two books for me! My goal this month is just to finish the book I'm working on. And I'm almost there :)
Love your attitude.
I'm glad Nov is over and I can get back to writing for the joy of writing, without the word count hanging over my head.
I never give myself a word count quota for the day..I just make myself write something every day..sometimes it is one sentence and sometimes 5000 words..
I'm so with you. I know I can crank out words.
Contextual Ad Network India
Hi Annie! I found your blog and couldn't resist commenting. We have so much in common! My name's Annie too, and I have a writer's blog as well. I also love Stephen King, which I see you're currently reading, and cats, although I only have 2 and DO consider myself a crazy cat lady. ;) And I've done NaNoWriMo before as well, and like you, found that although it has its perks, allowing my own pace is a little more enjoyable. Anyway, nice to "meet" you, and good luck with the WIP.
Post a Comment