Sunday, May 17, 2009

Blog Chain: Characters--The Good, the Bad, the Well-Written


Hello! It is time once again for a blog chain post. This round was started by Michelle, who was wondering about main characters. She asked,


In your reading and writing, which do you prefer – a main character that is intriguing, or one that is likeable? Who are the characters that you love the most? And who are the ones that you love to hate?


Elana shared her thoughts before me, and Sandra is up next.


In my reading, I mostly look for great characters. I am not against page-turning plots. I'm just saying, if the plot sounds rather ho-hum, but if the characters are truly interesting people, I will keep reading. So I would say I prefer intriguing characters. Any character that is boring, or who whines too much without trying to change anything in his or her life, quickly makes me angry, and I will stop reading. I hated The Hobbit, which we had to read in 7th grade, because I thought Bilbo was so whiny and weak and stupid, and I just didn't care if he lived or died or solved a quest or anything. I also recently read Peony in Love, and the main character in that book, Peony, was young and foolhardy and always made stupid decisions, and I didn't like her. It took her forever to learn from her mistakes, and by the time she did, I didn't care anymore. She could've dropped dead on the spot, and I would've thought, "Thank goodness THAT is over." I'm not sure she was written very well, though, because it got to the point where she'd think, "I sure hope this doesn't happen," and then of course two pages later it happened. So she was just stubborn and predictable. But, the rest of the characters in the book were okay, and I enjoyed reading about all the Chinese traditions, so I finished the book.


I'm assuming when Michelle asks about likeable characters, she is wondering if I met this person in real life, would I want to be friends with them. Or, do I like this character as a person. There are plenty of characters that I don't like as people but I will acknowledge that as a CHARACTER goes, this person is great.


For example, in Lolita, Humbert Humbert is not a person I would be friends with or encourage in his behaviors. Yet, the novel is told from his point of view, and, if I can remember (I have a really hard time remembering anything in the books I read. I can remember if I liked them or not, but shortly after reading them, all the events escape me. I often forget how books end.), he has a good sense of humor. Certainly, he has a way with words, and while a lot of his behavior is horrifying, I still remember being on his side in the book. I just wanted things to work out for him, even though obviously they couldn't.


Another example of an unlikeable character that I liked is Patrick Bateman from American Psycho. In the movie, there isn't really one good thing about him, yet, and maybe again this is because he's narrating, I am able to understand where he's coming from. While I don't agree with all the murdering he's doing, from his perspective, it makes sense to me. And, I end up hoping he'll get away with it. However, in Bret Easton Ellis's book, Patrick does a lot more horrible things. I still thought the writing was interesting, and I liked Patrick's voice, but the graphic content was too much. I never finished it, and I don't think I ever will. It just made me sick.


The characters that I love the most are probably the most honestly written, and they are people with plenty of flaws but trying not to hurt everyone around them. If they do hurt someone, they would have a good reason for doing so, at least in their minds. I loved Clare and Henry in The Time Traveler's Wife. And Chip, Denise, and Gary from The Corrections are some of my favorite characters of all time. I just thought they were wonderfully dysfunctional.


As for characters that I love to hate, I'm not sure that there are any. If I hate a character, then I just plain hate him or her. There is no joy in the hating. Only wishing that the main character is triumphant. I HATED Ellsworth Toohey from The Fountainhead. I thought he was everything evil and manipulative. I also didn't like August, Marlena's husband, from Water for Elephants. Maybe the mark of a true villain is someone whose motives are explained yet still there is nothing they can do to get my sympathy.


So, in conclusion, an interesting and well-written character is more important than whether that character does good things or bad things. If there is anything characters can explain to me that will help me see life through their eyes, then chances are I will like them, and I will most likely finish the book.


Who are your favorite and least favorite characters? What books could you not finish because the character was doing nothing for you?



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I like the idea of liking the character in print, even though you may not really like them in person.

Elle Scott said...

Very interesting post. I, too, have read characters whom I love to hate. In White Oleander, I hated the mother, but her character was so intriguing that I just had to know what she was up to.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I too dislike overly negative characters. You made a lot of good points here.

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

I don't like weak or whiny characters, either. (Hence my dislike of Bella, as noted in Elana's comments. During New Moon I just wanted to her to PICK HERSELF UP OFF THE FRIGGING FLOOR ALREADY.)

:-)

B.J. Anderson said...

Yeah, whiny characters are not my favorite. I like strong people who persevere when most anyone else would have given up.

Michelle McLean said...

Okay, I have at times been a Bella defender, but Carolyn is totally right...the whole "my world has ended" thing got really old after awhile. The second time reading the series, I skipped through everything until Alice shows up :D

Anyhow, excellent post Annie! I agree, there has to be either some redeeming quality or some understandable reason for why even a horrible character is doing what he's doing for me to get on board with him. Like Snape in Harry Potter.

Elana Johnson said...

Very good points, Annie! I need to read, like, all of those books, but you make a good point about liking people even if they aren't the most saintly people on the planet. Good job!

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Annie, you and I seem to have similar memory problems - I often have trouble recalling parts of books I've read, up to and including the endings!

Love this point: "Maybe the mark of a true villain is someone whose motives are explained yet still there is nothing they can do to get my sympathy."

Great post!

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I agree with you. Any character that is well-written should be able to carry a story.

I'm getting closer on how I want to respond to this question.

*panic attack ebbs*

Hey Annie, my word verf is usnot. I'm not. Really, I'm not.

Anne Eston said...

Ditto on Clare and Henry from The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm sure I have more favorites, and ones that are definitely not my favorite, so I may have to chime in again later when I can think of them. But one that just popped into my head now is the tiger in Life of Pi. OK, OK, it's not really a character . . . but in a way it is because of the relationship with the boy, and after it eats every living thing on the boat except the boy. I was also just moved beyond words that after everything, the tiger just jumps off the boat and disappears into the jungle at the end. After all, it's an animal, not human.

Annie Louden said...

Wow, 10 comments! Where have I been?

Christine- I wish my liking of characters would spread to an ability to write characters I wouldn't like as people. I have a hard time getting past my judgments.

Elle- Thanks for stopping by! Ooh, I remember that mother. I too did not hate her enough to stop reading.

Sandra- Thanks!
I end up disliking a lot of my own characters because they wallow around and do nothing.

Carolyn- Ha, ha, yeah, I don't think I'll ever read those books.

B.J.- Thank you also for stopping by. I think that is the mark of the best character--one who never gives up.

Michelle- I always liked Snape, but I think that's b/c he was played by Alan Rickman. I also thought he could've been played by Trent Reznor. Oooh!

Elana- Thanks! Yes, I know you love YA, which is fine, but there are a ton of other great books out there! And also, I need to catch up on all the great YA out there.

Kate- It's really embarrassing how much I forget about the books I read. Makes it hard to do posts like this. I have to keep visiting wikipedia!

Kat- Aw, I'm sorry the word verification was rude. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this topic.

Indigo Girl- I haven't read Life of Pi, but I think I own it, somewhere. I'm unsure why Clare and Henry have stayed with me so long. I can't wait to read her next book!