Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Work-in-Progress Wednesday #015

Holy moly, it's Wednesday again. I don't know how this day always sneaks up on me. I wonder if I did Work-in-Progress Friday or Saturday if I'd get more done. Eh, probably not.


No writing for me this past week. It seems like a lot of people out there are stuck with writer's block and stewage and "where do I go now?" but they are still getting some words down, which is great! I still have not quite figured out where to put in the writing time. You know, it's like what I think about all day at work, but when I come home it's my 2nd job, cleaning, running errands, unwinding with reality TV, petting four cats and such that sucks up all the time. I guess this is the beginning of another week to try this writing thing. *sigh* I know it's not the end of the world but, darnit! I want to report some progress. That is the point of this weekly post, after all.

I did do a writing-related activity in the form of beta reading Carolyn's awesome novel A Touch of Madness. It's really good! I'm almost finished with it. I know she was hoping to make it longer, and unless she wrote everything I'm thinking of in the last five chapters, I have a few ideas for her. So, maybe I didn't get any writing done this week, but I did write all over her draft in the hopes of helping her with her writing.

How was your progress this week? And, if you have any tips for me to get into the writing habit, I could really use them.

8 comments:

B.J. Anderson said...

You know what really works for me is to sit down (usually on the nice, comfy couch) and write a scene in a notebook. Then if I feel like it, I'll go to the computer and transfer it there. Usually it fleshes out more on the transfer from the notebook to the computer. And darn all that work and housework you have to deal with. Bleh. I hate housework most of all. Good luck with it!

Elana Johnson said...

I like BJ's idea of just starting with one sentence. I had to do that once. Freak, I still have to do it sometimes. Just one sentence. So that's your goal. *stern face* Next week, you must report that you've written one sentence. Got it? ;-)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Tips on getting into the writing habit? Oh heavens. I'm in the same icky pot. I'm working back into editing. It's not fun. I know it will get better. I'm just trudging into it for now.

Yay for beta reading! That's awesome. I'm beta reading two novels right now. It's a great experience. :D

Anonymous said...

Well, my advice is in tomorrow's blog post - so hope on over and check it out. in the meantime, I think Beta reading is a great thing!!! So GREAT JOB.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I know how you feel about lack of time! Once I returned to work after having my son, I found my best writing time is on my lunch hour at work. Since you think about writing at work, could you try that? Even if you don't have a laptop, you could write longhand. (I don't recommend using the company's computer; otherwise, they could technically claim part of your work.)

Annie Louden said...

B.J.- Yes, the sitting down and writing method. Well, I spent last night digging up all my pretty pens and new notebooks, so I will give it a try. Also, I have a notebook full of stuff that needs to be transferred to the computer. Guess I can start there, too.

Elana- Argh, the stern face! Ha, I need it. Yes, I will report some writing. I will!

Glam- Bah, I don't like editing. This is why I abandoned my YA novel... again. But, beta reading takes a lot of work and transfers into writing knowledge, so that's great you're reading two novels.

Christine- It's tomorrow. I'll check out your blog post right now!

Sandra- I have sometimes written at work. I bring my notebooks. I think my excuse there is it's hard to get into the zone. But, to keep trying won't hurt.

Robin said...

Hmm! Don't have much advice other than echoing what everyone else said. Writing it out is a good fast way to get those words out. Its also easier sometimes, rather than sitting at the computer. My kitties will curl up on my feet, by my head, on my lap. If they really want attention, they'll rub their head on my pen and lay down on top of the notepad. Nice way to muse about what going to write next.

Annie Louden said...

Robin- Yay, kitties and writing! The two best things. It's true, I just have to sit and do it. Any writing is good writing.