Well, what writing-related thing can I talk about today?
It's NaNoEdMo. That's 50 hours of editing in March. I signed up in 2005 and 2006 but edited for about 3 hours then quit. Maybe I signed up for 2007. I don't remember. But I always started March with big dreams of revising my NaNo novel, only to become paralyzed by the thought of 50 hours in one month. It doesn't take me 50 hours to write a novel in November. It takes about 12.
So this year, with my newfound persistence and it's-becoming-a-habit writing routine, my personal goal is 25 hours. I know, it's not 50, but it's a big deal for me. As of today, I've edited 1 hour and 13 minutes.
In other writing news, I have been reading (yes, reading is essential for writing). I'm halfway through Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It's very good but very depressing. I'm constantly being reminded of the bitter cold and pitch-dark nights and lead skies and gray ash everywhere. Everything is dead, and I don't know what happened. I'm thinking maybe there will never be an explanation, why the world went dead and gray and frozen.
The blog chain last week was about torturing your characters, and I think The Road has it down. Last night I read this line: "Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it." That pretty much sums up the story, so far. But I care about the man and the boy, and I hope they make it to...wherever there is left to make it.
Yay, now I'm sad! Off to find something happy to read.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oooh, I keep meaning to read The Road, but it is hard to get into the mood for what you know is going to be a really depressing read. I have the same problem with depressing movies - although with both in the end it usually ends up being worth it.
Yeah, I have been putting off reading The Bell Jar for years for the same reason. I don't want it to send me into a downward spiral.
The Road isn't really so bad; I'm just so worried about those two characters! It's written in a very literary style, but I'd say it reads like a thriller (for me, anyway).
Also, I wanted to get it done before the movie comes out.
Post a Comment