Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Work in Progress Wednesday #004

Methinks I should've gone back and read post #003 right around Sunday night when I wanted to stop revising forever. I can't believe how easily I forget the joys of writing when the writing isn't joyful.

I didn't write for three days last week (I started up again last night). I didn't even think about the novel. I'm supposed to be thinking about it while I'm away from it, but I guess I'm not in that habit yet. Maybe, at work, I can train myself to think of my wip every time I look at the clock or think how bored I am, waiting for the end of the day. I need some "ah ha" moments that Kate mentions in her blog post today. I think an "ah ha" moment will provide the motivation I need to get... through... the..... REWRITE!

Yes, I have discovered that the line editing has come far enough, and I really need to rewrite some of this thing. Maybe a lot of this thing. The whole thing? No, I think the core is there, but I have read a handful of scenes that make me squirm with a "Meh, that's not quite right" feeling, and there is a major scene that I realized I can make REALLY major, which would probably be a good idea if I ever expect this book to be published.

But it's so scary! Rewriting?! Why, wasn't it perfect the first time? Thank goodness I began writing this novel so long ago. I know writers are supposed to be accustomed to "killing their darlings," but this is hard! *whine* There are some perfect sentences within the pages I need to rewrite, and then no one might ever read those wonderful bits.

I just need to DO it. Stop thinking about doing it. I'll pretend it's NaNoWriMo, and I'll get out a notebook and redo these scenes.

Or! Maybe I should finish going through the whole draft first before I start the rewrite. Then I will have a pile of notes and ideas to get me on my way. I'm on p. 79 of 192. Maybe if I keep going with the rereading and familiarizing myself with the story again, I'll stay excited about it AND be thrilled here and there by my flashes of writing genius. Because that has happened, too. Don't you love it when you read what you wrote, and it makes you genuinely smile or laugh? It's just like, "Yes! I am a literary genius!"

Okay, what do you all think? Keep going as I've done with the line editing and note-taking until the book is read? Or stop where I am and start rewriting?

11 comments:

Robin said...

I would read through the whole thing first making notes as you go. That way you'll have a good idea of what you need to accomplish. That's what I plan on doing when I start rewriting this one. I'm actually looking forward to finishing "Winter's Illusion" so I can set it aside and go back to my first story. I have so many things in mind for it. Will have to do major rewriting as well.

So, keep on doing what your doing. It will give you a better picture.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

I agree with Robin, you should finish reading the whole thing and refamiliarizing yourself with it, especially since it's been so long - and then you can look at the big picture when you begin rewrites.

Also, I mentioned in a blog posting last week that I don't believe in "killing your darlings" but instead only finding them another place to live in a future work.

And finally last week I also passed along a "your blog is fabulous" award to you - not sure if you saw, but just wanted to give you a heads up in case you missed it:)

Annie Louden said...

Thanks for the advice, you two. I will probably feel more goal-oriented if I keep along the current path and don't start jumping around in rewrites.

Robin, "Winter's Illusion" is a great title! How many projects do you have going at once?

Kate, thanks for the award! That is really exciting to me. I love having a blog that people read!

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

Yes, I say keep going and making notes, too. :-)

And your blog IS fabulous! :-D

Tara Maya said...

Re-writing is scary. My fear it would dissolve my entire wip into a blobbery of pieces has come true more than once. That, however, was not just a re-write but an entire re-organization.

Tara Maya said...

And the award is darling!

Anonymous said...

Hey there - first of all, the time of was probably a good thing - and even though you dont think you were thinking of your novel...your subconscious probably was. AS for what to do now. Read the whole thing through - then you'll know what to do to make it better.

Great job, though. Remember how far you've come already and don;t worry about how far you feel like you have to go...we are all right there with ya!!!

Annie Louden said...

Archetype- thanks, I'm back to blogging because of you!

Tara- "blobbery of pieces" is hilarious. And yes, that's what I'm afraid of.

Christine- I hope my subconscious was thinking about it. Time will tell. You're right, I shouldn't worry about how far to go, and it's great you all have been there before. I do tend to think of things I can worry about.

Okay! I will continue reading all the way through, then tackle the rewrite.

Elana Johnson said...

Annie, definitely keep reading and taking notes. You might get your ah-ha moment! :)

Karen Harrington said...

Hi Annie,

My first time to your blog. Woo! I'm a writer as well and I think that going through the work once, doing minor edits and taking notes along the way is the way to go. It helps you make an outline of your whole story structure and know what scenes are where. Hope that helps. I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Annie Louden said...

Elana- no ah-ha moment yet... mostly a lot of scary moments considering how to rewrite the thing. But I believe it will happen!

Karen- Thanks for visiting my blog! I have continued with the reading through, even though this past week I thought about abandoning the project altogether.