Boo.
I got home today and checked my online status for that writing program I applied to in December, and I did not get in.
This was to Ohio State, for their three year MFA program. I wanted to go because I live right by there, and it's a long program, and fully funded! I've been reading the MFA blogs for months now, and I heard they had over 200 applicants for 15 spots. But, a lot of programs had over 500 applicants for like 6 spots. So it wasn't the most competitive program to which I could've applied.
Anyway, I suspected a few weeks ago that I didn't get in, but now it's been confirmed. I'm disappointed, because who wants to be rejected. I really want my MFA someday, and I also was hoping to be back in school again. I love school!
But now I have established this new writing community, and I'm working on getting published. I know I don't need an MFA to get published. It's just something I want for me! I'll apply again another year. Probably not to OSU. There are lots of great programs all over the country. Maybe one of them will decide where I move next.
Heh. I probably really won't get anything done this weekend now. :)
Friday, March 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Rejections are never fun. My advice (not that you asked) is give yourself some wallowing time - do something unrelated and FUN...then, brush yourself off and get back on the horse. Walking straight through the disappointment is the fastest way to the other side :)
Awww, sorry to hear this. But at least now you know and you're free to move on with your life. And now you won't be stuck in Ohio for the next few years if you don't want to be. :-)
I'm so sorry! You don't need an MFA to write and get published.
I was going to attend Eastern Washington University to get my MFA, but I got married instead. And then had a kid a few years later. Hmmm... there went that plan. BUT I still plan on getting my MFA in Creative Writing when my child/ren is/are older. Still don't know if I want more than one. :)
You don't need an MFA to get published. I fully expect to have something published by the time I get back into school!
Sorry you didn't get in. Keep trying! It's a fantastic goal you shouldn't give up on.
Christine- thanks for the advice. I like looking at this as just a rejection in the long list of them that happen as a writer. Last night I went out to dinner and watched a movie, so wallowing over!
Archy- I'm so glad I know now. And, yeah! I didn't think about being stuck/not stuck in Ohio.
Tara- I know I don't need an MFA, but I just want one. I'll probably try again someday.
Lady Glamis- I'm glad you're still planning to get your MFA, too! Of course people get them at all times in their lives. I think my new goal is to have something published before I'm back in school, as well.
This post made me think of you.
http://rejecter.blogspot.com/2009/03/rejecters-rejections.html
Ooh, thanks for the link, Tara!
This was just one program, after all.
I did get into the three writing programs I applied to in Sydney, but it turns out, they accept everyone! We learned this after attending 5 weeks of classes, then dropping out and coming back to America.
I'm going to take a few years off, try to get published, and apply to better (for me) schools again when I'm ready.
Post a Comment