Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Work-in-Progress Wednesday #006

Someday I will have a Work-in-Progress Wednesday #100. (!) That would be about two-ish years from now? Think of all the writing I will get done between now and then!

Last week, I didn't do much writing, just on Sunday. But I got through 30 pages that day, and the novel is really chugging along now (because the middle has so many exciting bits), and I think in two weeks I should be done with the read-through. I have 65 pages left to read.

After that, the rewrites will begin! I was talking to Carolyn about my characters, and how when I started the novel I wanted to have multiple characters with multiple POVs, but now I'm thinking one character is outshining the others, and she suggested I just stick with that one character and tell the story from her point of view. I may do this. I'll give it a try. I think I'll have to invent some more scenes for her, though.

I also thought about a job change for my oldest main character, and it could really mess things up, in a good way.

That's pretty much the update for this week. How are your projects coming along?

9 comments:

Tara Maya said...

So major rewrites are in the offering? Or you haven't decided?

dellgirl said...

Thanks for letting me in, this sounds like a few conversations I've had with myself...very interesting. I like it. I'm coming back for more and to see the weekly updates. Nice blog.

Elana Johnson said...

Nice. I also like how you don't write everyday, yet you aren't beating yourself up about it. I need to do that.

Robin said...

Wow a wip 100. Now that would be interesting. Sounds like you are doing great. My post is up now
here

Have a good rest of the week.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Sounds like you made excellent progress this week! And isn't it great when someone gives you some suggestions and suddenly you have all these great new ideas bubbling up to the surface?

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Just a word of advice. If you decide to get rid of those other POVs PLEASE make sure they are not providing some good angles to your story. I had this problem with a previous WIP, and I'm so glad I kept those POVs now.

The story is just about ONE person, but the other POVs really add some depth to that character's story.

Good job on progress!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you made a lot of progress...ads your ideas will help you make even more! NICE!!!

Annie Louden said...

Tara Maya- Yeah, I think I'll will be doing some major rewrites in a few weeks. I'm excited and a bit worried about the novel getting out of hand.

Dellgirl- Thanks for stopping by! Hopefully I'll have significant progress to tell you about each week.

Elana- I have spent many months of the last 15 years or so beating myself up for not writing, and I just can't do it anymore! Obviously, though, it took a while to get to this point. Seeing that I'm making progress each week, even if not each day, is helpful.

Robin- It will be fun to look back after I get to wip 100. Think of all the writing!

Kate- Yes, it's amazing how talking about a manuscript with others gets the ideas rolling. Of course this is why critique groups and writing friends are invaluable.

Lady Glamis- I will certainly be careful while messing with the POVs. I'm not even sure yet I'm going to drop the other two. I'm going to try it both ways.

Christine- Yes, progress is always good and motivates me to do more.

Carolyn Kaufman | @CMKaufman said...

Look how far you've come! From being paralyzed and not able to edit at all to looking at potentially large edits...and you're just taking that in stride. So cool!